The Biggest and Best Winter Events in South East Florida
Florida in the winter is full of fun events to attend and things to do. Each year, the holiday season brings us festivities like concerts, exhibits, parties, and festivals. Whether you want to explore the biggest fine arts festival, take part in an electronic music and paint party, or learn about natural habitats, South East Florida has festivals to suit a variety of tastes. Here are some of the biggest events in some of the finest cities in South East Florida this winter.
- The Delray Beach Wine and Seafood Festival. This event features exhibitors from all over South East Florida. People come here to show off their wine and cuisine. Some of the top chefs and most well-known restaurants open their booths here and offer their wares. While admission is free, you can experience some of best happenings at the event by purchasing a ticket. Food pairing seminars, art gallery exhibits, live music, and dances abound at this festival. It takes place on the scenic East Atlantic Avenue in downtown Delray Beach from November 7-8th.
- Canvas. Canvas is an open-air exhibit that takes place throughout the downtown area of West Palm Beach. The outdoor museum opens displays in real-time across the city, giving attendees an experience like no other. Essentially, it’s like going to a museum without walls; every surface of the city around you becomes a piece of art. Some of the best street artists in the world are featured, turning the city around them into murals, installations, and other forms of expression. Admission is free, and all of the exhibits are within walking distance of each other. There are over 20 locations to discover art throughout the city. The two-week festival runs from November 8th-22nd.
- LagoonFest. If you love nature and animals, LagoonFest is the perfect place to explore. The Lake Worth Lagoon is one of the largest and most scenic estuaries in South East Florida, and LagoonFest shows off this incredible natural habitat. The festival features live music, wildlife presentations, exhibits, and tons of outdoor activities. It’s fun for families and individuals of all ages because there’s so much to do. Whether taking a lagoon tour or eating next door at the West Palm Beach GreenMarket, there’s something everyone can enjoy. LagoonFest takes place at the West Palm Beach Waterfront on November 14th.
- Winterfest Ft. Lauderdale. The Winterfest Boat Parade in Ft. Lauderdale is one of the biggest annual events in the area. The main boat parade features privately owned boats and yachts that cruise down the Intracoastal Waterway and show off their holiday decor. It’s a parade of lights unique to the culture of South East Florida. While the parade itself takes place on December 12th, starting at 6:30 p.m., there are plenty of other things to do in the area during the entire weekend. The parade starts in downtown Fort Lauderdale and travels the 12 mile stretch North East to Lake Santa Barbara in Pompano Beach.
- Life in Color. The Life in Color festival in Miami is one of the biggest EDM events in the world. Featuring performances by some of the most popular electronic musicians and other artistic showcases, this festival is a wonder to behold. There are various art installations to explore, and attendees are encouraged to become art themselves by dressing in white and getting sprayed with non-toxic paint during one of the festivals many shows. The “Paint Blast” finale features confetti, paint, and a closing concert. The festival takes place at the Sun Life Stadium in Miami on January 16, 2016.
- Art Deco Weekend. South Beach Miami is known for its Art Deco architecture and preserving the culture of the movement. The Annual Art Deco festival is one of the biggest Art Deco celebrations in the United States. Taking place over a three-day weekend, the jubilee includes a multitude of events. From live music to fashion shows, tours, movies, lectures, and showcases, there’s always something to do or see.
This is a free event, and more than 400,000 people come every year. Enjoy perusing the streets lined with unique vendors from all over the country, and bring home a souvenir of the Art Deco age. This year, Art Deco weekend takes place from January 15th-17th along Ocean Drive in South Beach.
- Coconut Grove Arts Festival. This annual event takes place in Miami. This year will be the 52nd celebration of the festival. It’s one of the top outdoor fine arts commemorations in the United States. The celebration takes place over a one-mile radius, and it features art exhibits, fine dining, live entertainment, and stunning waterfront views from the picturesque village of Coconut Grove. You’ll have a chance to meet with exhibiting artists and enjoy their displays.
The festival takes place over President’s Day weekend, from February 13th-15th, and is just south of downtown Miami. General admission is $15 per day, while residents of Coconut Grove can get in for a discounted $5 per day.