The East Atlanta Strut
The East Atlanta Village, or EAV, is bursting with character, colors, and charm. This quirky neighborhood is home to the East Atlanta Strut, an annual, community-organized festival that showcases all there is to love about the EAV. There is tons of music, food, and activities, all raising money for local charities and organizations, as well as supporting local businesses. Last year alone, $27,000 in grants were donated to local organizations.
The Strut has been going strong for more than 20 years, celebrating uniqueness and the differences that bring us together. The most iconic part of the festival is the parade featuring bold and energetic participants, all aiming for the victory of the year’s Street Strut. All are welcome and encouraged to enter and participate with their wildly decorated bikes, cars, trailers, selves, or even unicycles. This parade is an opportunity to get creative and celebrate the neighborhood and culture around you.
Music, food, and art are also highlighted at The Strut. Local restaurants and art vendors will have their tasty food and whimsical goods featured for attendees to enjoy and explore. Throughout the festival there are several stages where live music is played by local bands. Dance and live it up!
The Strut is a family friendly event where everyone, even the kiddos, can have a great time! The Kids Village features fun activities that your kids will love, like face painting, bouncy houses, and jousting with pool noodles. To make it even better, everything in the Kids Village is free. There are plenty of fun adult activities as well. Get your groom on at the Annual Beard and Mustache contest, sponsored by The Hairy Gentleman, channel your inner kid in the Adult Big Wheel Club, or test your chops on the mechanical bull.
Tips for Enjoying the Strut:
- Wear walking shoes. You’ll be doing a lot of walk or, should we say, strutting.
- Parking will be basically non-existent, so don’t rely on it. Walking and public transportation will be the best way to get there.
- Get a viewing spot for the parade early. Space fills up quickly.
- The 2018 East Atlanta Strut will be held on September 22 from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Entrance to the festival is free, but food and certain activities have a cost.
- Only services dogs and dogs in the parade are allowed in.
- Stay hydrated!
- Stay up to date on all things Strut at: http://eastatlantastrut.com/